Monday, March 1, 2010

Asian History (China, Korea, Japan)

I have been working on developing a fantasy world for the last 12-13 years. This year I have decided to completely revamp and redesign the world. As such I have been greatly influenced by Asian history. When I say Asian History I am referring to China, Korea and Japan. I find it amazing how they have interacted over the MANY years. There is just something about this part of the world that entrances me.

Its interesting that Korea has only really been whole twice in its existence once in the Joseon Dynasty and the following Japanese rule. After which the UN allowed it to be split between Russia and the US. Thus why we today have a split Korea. Both China and Japan allowed Western influence which changed them drastically and very uniquely.

Both China and Korea had a Three Kingdom's period and for a short while they over lapped. Japan and China had influence during Korea's three Kingdom's period. With the Help of the Tang Dynasty in China, Silla (one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea) was able to unify 90% of the current Korean Peninsula. The Northern Part of the peninsula and a large chunk of North Eastern China was owned by Korean's part of a kingdom called Balhae. Both China and Korea had a lot of changes in power and division of tribes for the longest periods.

Anyhoo, I find this area of the world so fascinating and the geography there is also so amazing. I am hoping that before I die to have the chance to backpack through Korea and explore this amazing terrain following the history that I am learning and experiencing through historical drama's.

No comments:

Post a Comment